top of page

Form 137 vs. Form 138: Understanding the Difference and Importance in Foreign Education

In the realm of education, administrative tasks, and record keeping play a crucial role in maintaining the integrity and accuracy of student information.

Two common forms that hold significant importance in the education system are Form 137 and Form 138. These forms serve different purposes and are used by educational institutions to document and assess students' academic progress.

In this article, we will examine Forms 137 and 138, particularly their differences, purposes, significance in the education process, and most importantly, their relevance for students pursuing studies abroad.

What is Form 137?

purpose requesting form 137

Form 137, also known as the Permanent Record, is an academic document that contains a comprehensive record of a student's academic journey.

It covers the student's entire educational history, starting from elementary school up to high school. It also includes information such as the student's personal details, enrollment dates, subjects taken, grades earned, and any disciplinary actions or awards received.

But what is the purpose of requesting Form 137? Well, having one shows proof that you have completed your secondary education, and since the document serves as a cumulative record that tracks your academic performance and progression over time, it's also one way for the college or university to assess whether you can keep up in pursuing further education.

In addition, presenting this allows the efficient transfer of documents, which means less trouble for parents, learners, and the educational institution involved.

What is Form 138?

form 138 report card sample

Form 138, on the other hand, is commonly referred to as the Report Card. It is a document that provides a summary of a student's performance for a specific grading period or academic year.

Form 138 typically includes essential information such as the student's name, grade level, subjects taken during the grading period, corresponding grades, and remarks (if any).

This form is usually issued at the end of each grading period or academic year and is intended to inform parents or guardians about their child's academic standing and progress.

Form 137 vs. 138: Highlighting Their Difference and Importance in Foreign Education

So, what’s the difference between Form 137 and Form 138? While both Form 137 and Form 138 serve as records of a student's academic history, they differ in terms of scope, purpose, and timing.

Form 137 encompasses a more comprehensive overview of a student's entire academic journey, whereas Form 138 focuses on a specific period, usually a grading period or academic year.

Form 137 is often required during the enrollment process in higher education institutions or job applications, as it provides a detailed record of a student's academic achievements. On the other hand, Form 138 is primarily used for regular reporting and communication between the school, students, and parents or guardians.

The significance of these forms lies in their ability to provide a comprehensive overview of a student's academic performance.

Form 137 allows educational institutions to assess a student's eligibility for higher education or employment opportunities; thus the reason why colleges and universities request applicants to secure the document when expressing their interest in studying in their school.

Moreover, it serves as a vital reference for evaluating a student's academic achievements, course completion, and any special programs or honors received. Employers also often request Form 137 to verify a candidate's educational background and qualifications.

Form 138, on the other hand, serves as a tool for tracking a student's progress on a more immediate basis. It allows parents or guardians to monitor their child's academic performance and identify areas of improvement or strengths.

what difference form 137 138

This form also provides an opportunity for teachers to provide feedback and recommendations to students and parents, fostering a collaborative effort in supporting the student's educational journey.

It is important to note that the specific format and content of Form 137 and Form 138 may vary across educational institutions and countries. However, the fundamental purpose of these forms remains consistent – to document and evaluate a student's academic progress.

Frequently Asked Questions

Are both forms required from students when studying abroad?

The requirements for Forms 137 and 138 may vary depending on the school and country you are applying to. Some schools abroad may request either or both of these forms to assess your academic background, while others may have different document requirements.

However, since Form 137 is considered to be more comprehensive, this is more commonly requested than 138.

How can I get a Form 137 for visa application?

The requirements for requesting one depend on your previous school, but registrars will most likely ask for a copy of your original diploma. So, make sure to have this ready to avoid inconvenience.

How long does it take for Form 137 and Form 138 to be released once requested?

is form 137 important

Processing and releasing times may vary. Verify ahead of time with the specific educational institution you are interested in since schools have different requirements and processing times.

In some cases, requesting these forms may be relatively quick and can be completed within a few days or weeks, while some may take longer, especially if there are administrative procedures or requirements that need to be fulfilled.

What if I lost or damaged my Form 137 or 138?

Form 137 is one of the most important documents a student will ever need, the same goes for Form 138. However, there can be untoward incidents such as if you lose or damage your forms. Luckily, you can request for a replacement, although the process may differ depending on the educational institution's policies.

You may need to contact the school's administration office and provide necessary information such as your full name, student identification number, and the year of your enrollment.

Additionally, you may be required to submit a formal request explaining the circumstances surrounding the loss or damage of the documents. The school may then verify their information and assess the feasibility of issuing a replacement.

Remember to communicate promptly with your previous school and adhere to any additional requirements to successfully obtain a replacement for the lost or damaged document.

I hope this informative post fed your curiosity on one of the most important documents requested when applying for a study abroad program. If you want to know more about the rest of the requirements, including the process of getting a student visa, don’t hesitate to message us and our representatives will guide you on how to get started.


bottom of page